Acupuncture is a therapy that is renowned all over the world for its healing powers and the positive effects it leaves on the body. Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese technique in which fine needles are inserted in the body at specific points called acupoints that are capable of treating various physical and mental ailments.
It’s one of the popular alternative medical techniques used in modern days.
Acupuncture is believed to be rooted in the Taoist tradition, which is about 8,000 years old. People during this time period would meditate and observe the flow of energy within.
Acupuncture is known to be prominent during the new Stone Age in China. In this period, the stones were refined into fine needles and served as instruments of healing. This technique is called Bian Stone, which means, use of a sharp edged stone to treat diseases.
Here are 10 Enchanting Facts About the Healing Power of Acupuncture in Chinese Medicine:
1. Studies indicate that acupuncture points have more electrical conductivity than areas of skin without acupuncture points.
2. The word acupuncture comes from the Latin word Acus meaning “needle” and punura, “to prick.”
3. Originally acupuncture needles were made of stones, bamboo, and bones and not stainless steel.
4. Acupuncture involves procedures which stimulates the anatomical locations on the skin which vary across Japan, China and Korea.
5. It is believed that there are over a thousand acupoints on our body. Out of these acupuncture therapists have identified only 8-18 points for treatment.
6. Acupuncture needles are a lot smaller than standard needles, and do not draw blood.
7. Acupuncture is proven by the WHO that it can cure/heal ailments such as vomiting, nausea, pain, osteoarthritis, headaches, migraines and lower back pain, acute sinusitis, acute rhinitis, cold, acute tonsillitis, acute bronchitis, myopia, cataract, toothache, acute and chronic gastritis, gastric hyperacidity, colitis, constipation, frozen shoulder, sciatica, facial palsy and paralysis.
8. Acupuncture works on the principle in which the needle sends impulses that travel faster than the pain impulses, thereby blocking them. It is also believed that it releases endorphins into the bloodstream which alleviates the pain.
9. Acupuncture treatment is totally painless and the insertion of needles does not cause pain.
10. Studies have shown that Acupuncture can heal infertility and increases the success rate of In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) by up to 65%.